Video: e-cigarette explodes on bus

News

It was terrifying moments for a California man on Wednesday when his e-cigarette exploded in his pocket.

The incident was caught on surveillance video.  It happened on a city bus in Fresno.  The footage shows the victim sitting down before the explosion.  The blast set his leg on fire.

The 53-year-old man suffered minor burns to his right thigh and hand.

It is just the latest in a string of exploding e-cigarettes.  Just last month, a man in New York’s Grand Central Terminal suffered leg and hand burns after his e-cigarette exploded in his pants pocket.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which started regulating e-cigarettes in May, said it received reports about 66 explosions in 2015 and early 2016, after recording 92 explosions from 2009 to September 2015

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-NY) has called e-cigarettes “ticking time bombs” and wants the federal government to consider recalling the batteries that run them.

Last year, the federal Department of Transportation issued a rule prohibiting passengers from packing e-cigarettes in checked luggage to protect against in-flight fires.

 

READ NEXT:  Dad delivers baby at home with help over phone

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

More Viral