CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46) — Bundling up for the cold? You’re not the only one who needs the extra layers.
With temps below freezing, winterize your pipes and keep your thermostat above 60 degrees to keep them from bursting.
“It’s going to cost, but it’s going to cost you more to repair a busted pipe, water damage after a pipe has busted,” said Captain Jackie Gilmore with Charlotte Fire Department.
Turn on the faucets in your home to a slow drip to keep the water flowing and open your cabinets to let the warm air in near the pipes.
Another threat to your home in the winter – space heaters. They can spark a blaze within a matter of seconds. So keep them at least 3 feet away from the wall and away from things that could catch on fire.
“Make sure your children and pets stay away from the space heaters. These space heaters can tip over. Some have mechanisms to turn off if they tip over. Older ones may not.”
An additional holiday hazard – overloading power outlets. The Charlotte Fire Department says to use a UL approved power strip to avoid a fire and to turn off lights and space heaters when you go to bed or leave your home.
An overloaded power outlet could start a fire outside or even inside a wall which can spread to the rest of the house.
“It could go on burning for a long time without you even knowing. If you see your lights flicker or smell a burning electrical smell, call 911.”
Decorations are delightful, but they’re responsible for sending 14-thousand people to the emergency room last year alone, according to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. That’s 230 injuries a day hindering a healthy and happy holiday season.