Concerned about speeders in your neighborhood? Here’s what to do.


CHARLOTTE, NC (FOX 46 WJZY) — For those of you concerned about speeding in your neighborhoods there are some steps you can take.

In the city of Charlotte, you can reach out to the Charlotte Department of Transportation.

You can contact them by calling 311 and city leaders will consider evaluating that stretch of roadway to determine if any speeding deterrents are necessary.

If the roadway is a state maintained road, you can contact the North Carolina Department of Transportation at (704) 983-4400.

A concerned Fox 46 viewer reached out to us to figure out what she could do about what she says is constant speeding on W.T Harris Boulevard in the University area.

“It’s terrifying,” said Fonda Bryant. “Everytime I get in the car it’s like am I going to get to point a to point b safely?”

We decided to take a look at a 2-mile stretch along W.T. Harris where Bryant lives, between North Tryon Street and Old Concord Road. 

City leaders said along this stretch there have been 197 crashes in 2016 and 144 crashes so far this year. We are waiting on statistics from CMPD to verify how many of these crashes are speed related.

Fox 46 Charlotte used a speed gun to see if drivers were going above the posted speed limit of 55 mph and our investigation showed drivers were. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

More Viral